"When we all think alike, then no one is thinking."
— Walter Lippman

Friday, May 22, 2009

Untold Story


When beginning an illustration, I usually have no preconceived idea where it will go or what the finished work will look like. The story unfolds as layers are created and often the end result is a total surprise. This is the way I like to work, implying an untold story that the viewer can participate in, leaving clues and evidence of what might have happened. There is no absolute answer and the story can change at any given moment.
I am reminded of an old Calvin and Hobbs cartoon in which Calvin is working on a paint-by-number painting. Hobbs, looking over his shoulder remarkes "Hey, that's not right.... you're supposed to follow the numbers!" Calvin's reply: "But then my picture would look just like the one on the box..... " Calvin gets it.

2 comments:

tgarrett said...

Nice piece Ann! I too like to have things happen- I like how a piece will take on it's own direction- I find my best work happens when I let go. Your Photoshop skills are impressive- Terry

Bellissima said...

This is a gorgeous piece! And I still love Calvin & Hobbes...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
If you have come this far and want to see more, please click on the words "Older Posts" above.