"When we all think alike, then no one is thinking."
— Walter Lippman

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Hide and Seek

My offering for this month's art exchange features the sport of Geocaching.
I decided to experiment with an original black and white photo and used a gradient blend of three colors to alter the image.  This is the result.   I hope it reflects the enthusiasm I have for this high tech game of "Hide and Seek."

The original photo for this image was taken near Clear Lake, Iowa at the site of the 1959 plane crash that claimed the life of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, The Big Bopper, and pilot Roger Peterson.  The "Virtual Cache" at this site called for a photo to be submitted with the cache log.  

There was a strange energy at this place that seemed to come through in the shot.  I made the half mile walk through a cornfield just after sunrise on a cold autumn morning and set up my tripod for the photo.  As the timer went off, there was a rustling in the rows of tall dry corn which caused me to look in that direction.  Crows.  
I stayed for a while looking out over that landscape and could imagine a snowstorm in the early morning hours long ago and the events that happened there.

For more information about Geocaching, click here.
For more information about the Buddy Holly plane crash, click here.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
If you have come this far and want to see more, please click on the words "Older Posts" above.